Friday 11 July 2014

Guest Post // Pre-Eclampsia

Pre-Eclampsia is a confusing one.. I know I had ignored my warning signs for a few weeks & it was only at a routine MW appointment it was discovered. It can be really hard to tell what's normal & what's not...often swollen feet, headaches & nausea are part and parcel of being pregnant. So it's always good to clue yourself up on other symptoms and signs & if you have a few of them go see your MW.

Pre-Eclampsia is a condition that only occurs during pregnancy - to put it simply it is 'disease of the placenta' & the only cure is delivery of the baby & placenta.

Some warning signs of Pre-E that you can look out for yourself are;

- swelling of the feet/hands
- headaches
- nausea/vomiting
- abdominal/shoulder pain
- lower back pain
- sudden weight gain
- shortness of breath
- changes in vision

Other symptoms that you may not necessarily know about but may be picked up at a MW appointment are;
- protein in urine
- high blood pressure

Many of these symptoms are normal in pregnancy - I know I had swelling, headaches, vomiting, lower back pain, shortness of breath, changes in my vision (I was having black spots & floaters) & non of these particularly worried me-in the later stages of pregnancy I just thought it was to be expected! It really is important to catch Pre-E though as if it is left untreated it can turn into Eclampsia which leads to seizures & (not to use scare tactics but) is life threatening for Mummy & baby.

People that are more at risk of Pre-Eclampsia are;

- first time mums
- women who have previously had pre-eclampsia
- women that have blood clotting disorders
- having a close relative that had Pre-E
- being over weight
- women that are carrying twins/triplets... Or more
- being over 40

I was bang on 40 weeks when my Midwife discovered I had Pre-Eclampsia so the sensible & safe option for me was to be induced & deliver my baby. My blood pressure continued to rise even after delivery of Mini Meldrum & it took 3 days in hospital to stabilise it & a 6 further weeks of medication (& weekly dr's visits) to keep it at a safe level.

Hopefully this time round I will avoid Pre-E but I will be looking out for any warning signs & visiting my MW straight away should any arise. I hope after reading this that you will do the same!

Today's Guest Post was written by Rebecca from Mrs Meldrum, such an informative post. I sufffered too. You can view her blog here, Twitter here and BlogLovin here. If you would like to write a post for us, please contact via twitter or email thank you :)

1 comment :

  1. Nice, MW appointments are life savers as its easy for any abnormal issue to be picked up by the MW. Good thing you were already 40 weeks. All is well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete

please no spamming these will be deleted, only leave relevant comments, you are welcome to leave your blog link at the end of a comment - thank you :)